The 2021-2022 Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps qualifying low-income Iowa homeowners and renters pay for a portion of their primary heating costs for the winter heating season. The assistance is based on household income, household size, type of fuel, and type of housing.
If you are not sure where to apply, dial 211 or visit https://humanrights.iowa.gov/dcaa/where-apply to contact your local community action agency.
You may also write to: LIHEAP, Iowa Department of Human Rights, Capitol Complex, Des Moines, IA 50319.
HOW TO APPLY FOR LIHEAP
WHEN TO APPLY
- Elderly (60 and over) and/or disabled: October 1, 2021, to April 30, 2022
- All other households: November 1, 2021, to April 30, 2022
WHAT TO TAKE
- Proof of income for all household members age 19 and over; depending upon your household income type, income documentation from the past 30 days, the last 12 months, or the last calendar year—whichever is easier or more beneficial for you
- Proof of Social Security numbers for all household members (documentation required)
- Most recent heat bill
- Most recent electric bill
- Please bring copies of your check stubs for the 30-day period preceding the date of application, or a copy of your most recent federal income tax return.
- This income may include: Social Security Benefits, Supplemental Security Income, Family Investment Program, Veteran’s Assistance, Unemployment Insurance, and pensions. Please bring copies of your check stubs from the previous 30 days.
- Please bring a copy of your most recent federal income tax return.
- Please bring your current DHS Notice of Decision or contact your local office for acceptable document information.
If you receive alimony or child support, it will also need to be verified. Additional income not listed here may be required.
|Household Size||Annual Gross Income|
For households with more than eight members, add $9,080 for each additional member.
Photo credit: Cooperative.com