Guided by our commitment to community, ECI REC has a long history of supporting students through scholarships and leadership opportunities. We’ve been sending deserving high school students to Washington, D.C., every summer for years as part of the national Electric Cooperative Youth Tour program.
Come October, students can participate in the Iowa Youth Leadership Academy—a three-part webinar series that gives rural students the opportunity to learn about advocacy, electric cooperative career opportunities, and the cooperative business model. The course is open to any high school student in our service area. Students are invited to register at www.IowaYouthTour.com by October 1. Or click here to go directly to the sponsor's registration form.
Once students register online for the Iowa Youth Leadership Academy, they can attend the webinars on their own computers or mobile devices. Each Zoom session will last 45–60 minutes and will focus on a specific topic, below is the lineup for 2023:
- Tuesday, Oct. 3, 7:00 p.m. – Cooperative Business Model
- Thursday, Oct. 19, 7:00 p.m. – Rural Iowa Advocacy
- Thursday, Oct. 26, 7:00 p.m. – Civic Involvement and Leadership
- At the end of each live session, one lucky attendee will be selected at random to win a prize, for 2023 it’s a pair of Apple AirPods.
- Students who attend all three sessions will be entered into a random drawing for a $1,000 college scholarship.
- All students who register online by October 1 will receive a special box of cooperative goodies in the mail.
During the Zoom sessions, students will be inspired by our lineup of speakers and presenters. Participants will learn how to advocate for issues that are important to them and build leadership skills from a motivational speaker. Students will also hear about the Youth Tour.