ECI REC has been awarded a FEMA Section 404 Hazard Mitigation Grant to strengthen 246 miles of overhead distribution power lines in 105 separate projects.
As a result of this successful application, a lot of line rebuild activity will be taking place in ECI REC service territory.
To keep you as informed as possible, ECI will send out automated voice messages to members in the area where Highline will be working. In addition, each Monday we will be posting the current work areas of our staking and construction contractors on ECI’s Web and Facebook pages.
Though there are several steps to the upcoming FEMA projects, two of the steps that are likely of the most interest to ECI REC members are:
- The staking process—our hired contractor, Power Systems Engineer, will place stakes where the new utility poles will be placed and reconstruction will happen.
- Retire and rebuild—Highline Construction crews will go to the staked locations and tear down (retire) the old poles and lines and then rebuild the infrastructure with new lines, poles, and hardware.
Highline Construction will be working in the following areas the week starting May 14:
- Newton Township Sections 7 and 17 (8.75 miles)
- Freemont Township Sections 11 and 15 (2.1 miles)
Retired and rebuild projects completed to date have occurred in locations of:
- Madison Township Section 33 (2.9 miles)
- Liberty Township Section 24 (3.3 miles)
- Middlefield Township Sections 28 and 33 (1.7 miles)
Note: On average, pending weather conditions and permission coordination with some locations, Highline Construction usually averages one mile in a week or less.
- Above: Keep your eyes open for Highline Construction equipment and personnel.
- Left: This map shows the sections (circled in blue) that will be under construction starting May 14.