The 2019-2020 Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps qualifying low-income Iowa homeowners and renters pay for a portion of their primary heating costs for the winter heating season. The assistance is based on household income, household size, type of fuel, and type of housing.
If you are not sure where to apply dial 2-1-1, or visit https://humanrights.iowa.gov/dcaa/where-apply to contact your local community action agency. You may also write to: LIHEAP, Iowa Department of Human Rights, Capitol Complex, Des Moines, IA 50319.
HOW TO APPLY FOR LIHEAP
When to Apply
- Elderly (60 and over) and/or disabled: October 1, 2019, to April 30, 2020
- All other households: November 1, 2019, to April 30, 2020
What to Take
- Proof of income for all household members age 19 and over (most recent three months’ check stubs, award letter from Social Security, or 2018 tax return)
- Social Security numbers for all household members
- Recent heat bill
- Recent electric bill
- Please bring copies of your check stubs for the three-month period preceding the date of application, or a copy of your federal income tax return.
- This income may include: Social Security Benefits, Supplemental Security Income, Family Investment Program, Veterans Assistance, Unemployment Insurance, and pensions. Please bring copies of your most recent three months’ check stubs.
- Please bring a copy of your most recent federal income tax return.
- Please bring your current DHS Notice of Decision or contact your local office for acceptable document information.
If you receive alimony or child support, it will also need to be verified.