What’s the real story behind your home’s energy use? ECI REC is excited to bring member-consumers a new tool, the HomeEnergySuite, to help you obtain insight and energy answers with a couple of clicks of your computer mouse.
Part of the HomeEnergySuite is the HomeEnergyCalculator. To our residential customers, it gives a complete analysis of energy use based on information provided about their homes. Once you are on the calculator, select from: “I am interested in viewing a comprehensive report of my energy usage,” “Where are my energy dollars going?” “What are some no-cost or low-cost recommendations for my home to lower my energy costs?” or “I’d like to run a custom scenario.” With simple and fun navigation, you indicate the home’s square footage, age, and number of occupants. You also indicate the types of appliances, windows, and TVs you have—yes, it makes a difference!
The analytic “engine” behind the calculator factors in local energy rates and weather data. Within seconds a colorful pie chart appears with what portion of your monthly bill went for heating, cooling, water heating, lighting—and those TVs. HomeEnergyCalculator lets you model various scenarios like adjusting heating or cooling settings, tightening up the home by reducing air leaks, adding insulation, or installing storm windows. You can also preview the cost-savings actions or investments that would fit your budget. The calculation takes less than 10 minutes. It’s free and available 24/7.
“The calculator on ECI REC’s website is the latest generation home energy application available on the market. The tool meshes perfectly with the needs of today’s consumers who are tuned in to their role in controlling energy use,” said Member Services Director Frank Weber.
So, if you’d like a compelling, at-a-glance plan for how to save energy at home, HomeEnergyCalculator is for you. “It’s one more way we’re working to help members manage their energy costs,” added Weber.
In addition to the HomeEnergyCalculator, the HomeEnergySuite offers many other great tools:
- HomeEnergyLibrary - Hundreds of pages of interactive resources.
- Fundamentals of Electricity - How the electric utility industry generates and delivers power to its customers.
- Television Calculator - Compares the energy use and cost of LCD, DLP, plasma, and traditional tube televisions.
- Lighting Calculator - Compares the purchase price and cost to operate compact fluorescent lamps vs. incandescent lights.
- Space Heaters - Details the monthly costs of operating space heaters.
- Kid’s Korner - Contains everything from energy-themed games to teacher lesson plans.
- InteractiveEnergyHome - A graphically rich and extensive interactive library for exploring electricity issues of interest to a broad range of customers.