Greg Pavelka (3rd from the left) visits Linn County REC's booth during REC Day on the Hill.
Iowa Association of Electric Cooperatives Manager Brian Kading and ECI REC Director Jeff Eliott at REC Day on the Hill.
The Iowa Association of Electric Cooperatives held its 22nd annual REC Day on the Hill on Tuesday, March 19. Approximately 250 representatives from electric cooperatives across the state participated in this year’s event.
For the past 22 years, REC representatives have been traveling to the state capitol in Des Moines to discuss issues that are important to their member-consumers and to educate state legislators on the important role electric cooperatives play in rural Iowa. Topping the discussion items this year were pending stray voltage reform legislation, rural economic development, and the importance of affordable baseload generation.
A major part of this educational effort was provided through informational booths set up by electric cooperatives to display a wide array of REC and energy-related topics. Booth participants arrived at the capitol and began assembling their displays around 8 a.m. There were a variety of booths ranging from renewable energy and energy efficiency to stray voltage and rural economic development. Two booths highlighted the annual Youth Tour to Washington, D.C., sponsored by the rural electric cooperatives. The booths were open for legislators to view from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
In the afternoon, electric cooperative representatives met with their legislators and invited them to a dessert social, held from 3:30 to 5:00 p.m. The CFL Charlie light bulb mascots were also at the capitol greeting legislators, capitol staff, and REC directors, managers, and staff.
REC Day on the Hill presented a unique opportunity for electric cooperatives to spend the day at the capitol and to reiterate their commitment to delivering power that is safe, reliable, affordable, and environmentally responsible.
ECI REC made efforts to meet with the following senators and representatives during ECI REC’s Day on the Hill on March 13, as well as on March 19 during Iowa Electric Co-op’s Day on the Hill:
- Sen. Danielson - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sen. Dotzler - email@example.com
- Sen. Schoenjahn - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sen. Mathis - email@example.com
- Sen. Sodders - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sen. Kapucian - email@example.com
- Sen. Zumbach - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Kressig - email@example.com
- Rep. Katjazovic - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Berry - email@example.com
- Rep. Bearinger - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Fisher - email@example.com
- Rep. Pettengill - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Maxwell - email@example.com
- Rep. Stanerson - firstname.lastname@example.org