ECI REC has just finished the most recent phase of its infrastructure upgradeâ€•the installation of 17 network poles (or repeaters), which consist of antennas mounted to 65-foot poles throughout ECI REC’s service territory. Their sole purpose is to send and receive communications between ECI REC equipment. They are strategically placed in areas that allow for the clearest transmitting path(s) between the substations and ECI REC’s three 200-foot communications towers located in Independence, Urbana, and Vinton.
Last November, ECI REC began updating its infrastructure by replacing outdated and unsafe communications towers at its administration headquarters in Urbana and two operations centers located in Vinton and Independence.
The revised communications system and technology will allow ECI REC to:
- Maintain and operate our current SCADA system more effectively and efficiently.
- Upgrade from current analog technology to digital technology.
- Upgrade voice and data communications between headquarters and the two operations centers with more reliable wireless technology.
- Eliminate the need to lease landlines.
- Prepare for smart grid applications and additional system back-up options.