last modified: March 31, 2017 at 12:01:05 PM
Contact Iowa One Call before you dig!
Iowa law requires home and business owners planning to engage in any form of excavation within the state of Iowa to notify Iowa One Call
by calling 1-800-292-8989 or dialing 811 at least 48 hours prior to excavating.
Placing the call allows utilities time to visit your property and mark underground service lines. Not only does this ensure that you will not cause any costly damage when digging, it keeps you safe.
The Iowa One Call notification system is a free call and a free service. The required 48-hours advance notice does not include Saturdays and Sundays or legal holidays.
The topics below are discussed in the homeowners' section
of the Iowa One Call website. It's a great resource for more information.
- What constitutes digging and excavating? (When notification to Iowa One Call is required)
- How to initiate a locate request through the Iowa One Call system
- How to identify the actual site where planned excavations may occur (“White-Lining”)
- What do the colored flags and paint markings placed at proposed excavation sites mean?
- Am I liable for damaging underground facilities?
- How accurate are the markings?
- How long are the locate markings good for?
- Are all underground facilities located and marked? (“Private Facilities”)