last modified: November 13, 2017 at 2:03:15 PM
ECI REC is in the process of installing smart meters on all member accounts. It is the next step in maximizing the capability of the technology we have been putting in place over the past several years.
Smart meters put our Cooperative in an excellent position to reap the affordability, efficiency, and reliability advantages of the smart electric grid of the future. How? They collect energy usage data daily and allow two-way communication between the ECI REC computer system and the meter.
- Your new smart meter will be installed by Chapman Metering.
- The first meters will be changed in the first quarter of 2018, with an estimated completion in fourth quarter of 2018.
- ECI REC will send out postcards alerting you one to two weeks before meter installations begin.
- We will also notify members with an automated phone call prior to installation.
What to Expect During and After Installation
- You may experience a short disruption of power during the meter change.
- Your kilowatt-hour rate will not change.
- Your first bill following the installation will note “Meter Exchange” in the Bill Type section. Members will be able to see the readings and usage data from both their old and new meters.
Once your meter is changed, we encourage you to take advantage of the daily usage data provided by the meters to make smart energy choices. The new smart meters provide information about power usage to help you understand how and when you use electricity. You can view this data in the SmartHub billing portal.
More Resources to Help Answer Your Questions About Smart Meters
Read – We have compiled four articles to provide our members with in-depth information about smart meters. Please explore these pieces for more details:
- Smart Meter Background and Overview
- It’s a Win-Win! Members and the Cooperative Both Benefit From Smart Meters – PDF for download/print
- Digging Into Health and Security Myths and Facts – PDF for download/print
- Frequently Asked Questions About Smart Meters and AMI – PDF for download/print
Download – Our Smart Meter Benefits Overview brochure presents a condensed version of the information from our article series.
Talk – The ECI REC team is here to address any questions you may have. Please feel free to call or email us for more information.
Radio Frequency Resource Materials